Department of Horticulture and life science is an applied science that studies theories and technologies on horticulture, and it is a discipline that has come under the limelight as a high-income sector of the future together with the introduction of various new technologies and high-tech equipments.
On account of the economical growth of Korea, there has been an increasing amount of consumption of horticultural crops (fruits, vegetables, flowers), and their roles and functions are also increasing. We train students for improved production technologies, methods on using the produces, seed production and breeding through lectures on theories and actual lab works. Classes include basic courses such as cell biology, genetics, plant breeding, plant physiology, ecology, soil science, plant nutrition, plant protection, plant propagation, and etc. Applied courses are olericulture, pomology, floriculture and flower design, biochemistry, biotechnology and so on. In addition to major courses, students complete various general education courses to fost professional manpower with both intellect and skills.
The faculty members are composed of experts in plant physiology, plant genetics, vegetable crops, pomology, plant pathology, floriculture, protected horticulture, flower decoration, and publish papers in globally prominent plant journals. Some faculty members won many awards from the Korean Society for Horticultural Science (KSHS) such as the best discourse award. Others served as presidents of KSHS and listed to the world famous biographic dictionaries such as Marquis Who's Who.
|December 1971||Opened Department of Horticultural Science|
|December 1979||Opened master's course for graduate school in Horticultural Science|
|November 1981||Opened doctor's course in Horticultural Science|
|September 1994||Changed College name to College of Natural Resources, Department of Horticultural Science|
- College professors, public employees of agriculture related government organizations, researchers at agriculture and seed company research centers, teachers, companies related to farming machine, pesticide, fertilizer and distribution companies, seed industry, plant bio-engineering industries, tourist farming and flower shop businesses, flower coordinators, florists, flower decorators, etc
- Available national license of professional engineers related with seeds, flower design, plant protection, protected cultivation, and farm product quality administrator, secondary school teacher, etc
- Cornell Univ. Vegetable Crops, Plant Physiology
Hae Keun YUN,Professor
- Chungnam National Univ.
Park Kyeung Il,Associate Professor
- Yeungnam Univ.
Ramalingam Srinivasan,International Research Professor
- Periyar University
Sajid Ali,International Research ProfessorHomepage
- Microbial Biotechnology
Tiwari Pragya,International Research Professor
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Horticulture And Life Science
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- COMMUNICATION SKILL
- The ability to communicate effectively in speaking and writing is one of the most important skills for educational and career success. This course gives students opportunities to discuss, practice, and eventually master the skills involved in oral and written communication. The topics include theory and practice of effective communication, making speeches, presentation skills, principles of persuasion, and writing skills.
- GENERAL HORTICULTURE
- Horticulture provides human being with pleasant life space together with nutrition necessary for health and gets rid of spiritual stresses. General Horticulture initiates students into its characteristics, basic knowledge needed for production of horticultural crops, and their utilization.
- INTRODUCTION TO LIFE SCIENCE
- In this course, students learn the topics of cell biology, structure, and function, reproduction, genetics, physiology, development, diversity, evolution, and ecology. This course is an introductory course (even for non-science major students) which emphasizes the organization of biological systems integrated with major principles and new discoveries. The ultimate aim is to help students learn the process of science, like promoting skills of observation, perception, and reasoning based on the working knowledge in biological world, and gain an appreciation of the importance that biology plays in our lives.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- PRACTICAL ENGLISH
- The aim of the course is to help students develop basic English verbal skills in real life situations. The course will be co-taught by Korean and Native English instructors. Korean instructors will provide students with basic English structure, vocabulary, and expressions, and students will be encouraged to practice speaking English utilizing basic English structures. Students will further practice expressing themselves in English with native English instructors.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- UNDERSTANDING IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
- The corporations in 21st century have been severely challenged by the accelerated changes in local and global business environments complicated with diverse issues from the political, economical, socio-cultural, and environmental aspects. The main reason of studying management is contributing to suggestion of directions and principles for solving diverse problematic phenomena faced in management practices and for further development of our society. The purpose of this subject is to teach students the overall management concepts and theories so that they could understand many management issues and deal with effective managerial decision making in management practices.
- URBAN HORTICULTURE
- This lecture is focused on concept, value and function, category, and methodology of urban horticulture. Students can learn theory and methods for the harmony of nature, environment and human, urban environment improvement, physical and mental health promotion of urban residents, and activation of urban community using urban horticulture.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- CELL BIOLOGY
- Cell biology is the study of cell structure and function, and it revolves around the concept that the cell is the fundamental unit of life. Focusing on the cell permits a detailed understanding of the tissues and organisms that cells compose. Some organisms have only one cell, while others are organized into cooperative groups with huge numbers of cells. On the whole, cell biology focuses on the structure and function of a cell, from the most general properties shared by all cells, to the unique, highly intricate functions particular to specialized cells.
- INTRODUCTION TO FLOWER
- The lecture is focused on definition and traits of floriculture, botanical classification and nomenclature, horticultural classification, ecological classification, plant forms and functions of vegetative and reproductive organs, flower color and fragrance, and characteristics and usage of floricultural crops, aiming at understanding plant materials and morphology for floriculture and floral design.
- PLANT MEDICINE SCIENCE
- Lecture on classification morphology, physiology, life cycle, ecology, damage, and control method of plant pathogens and insects.
- PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
- This course is a general introduction to vital phenomena in plants, with emphasis on the functions of cells and organelles, movement of ions and water, photosynthesis, respiration, phytohormones, and reproductive growth, the responses of plants to changes in the environments are also discussed.
- INTRODUCTION OF PLANT CULTIVATION
- An introduction to the research methods in plant ecosystems and succession of plant community, with emphasis on the influences of the environmental factors such as temperature, light, soil, water and pollution in vegetative and reproductive growth during plant ontogeny.
- PLANT ENTOMOLOGY
- Plant pests and diseases will be discussed in this class.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY OF AGRONOMY
- This course is an introductory course in Education for prospective teachers majored in agronomy. The course is to study historical background, educational purpose and analysis of educational course of middle and high school.
- INTRODUCTION TO PLANT TISSUE CULTURE
- Lecture on principle and history of plant tissue culture, medium, differentiation, propagation, production of virus free stock, in vitro breeding etc.
- SEX AND PROPAGATION IN PLANT
- Lecture on the principle and methods of plant propagation such as cutting, grafting, propagation of bulbs and tubers, micro propagation, etc.
- STORAGE OF HORTICULTURAL CROPS
- Lecture on post-harvest physiology of horticultural crops, principle, and methods of preventing their quality degradation during marketing and storage period.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- FLORAL DECORATION AND DESIGN
- The lecture is focused of theory of floral decoration and design concerning meaning, histroy color and form, design elements and principals, genre and traits, and processed floral products
- LOGIC AND LOGICAL WRITING IN AGRICULTURE
- The purpose of this course is to help students majoring in various fields in agriculture to improve their abilities for logical thinking and logical problem-solving, and to further strengthen the ability for them to write in a logical and critical manner.
- PLANT GENETIC ENGINEERING
- A Study of the general principles in the genetic manipulation including cell culture and molecular cloning for plant molecular biology.
- PRACTICE FOR POMOLOGY AND PLANT PROTECTION
- Practice on the technologies for fruit production in the fields and for protection of plants against foreign attacks from pathogens, insects and other biotic or abiotic agents
- PROTECTED HORTICULTURE & PLANT FACTORY
- Protected Horticurture & Plant Factory is foucused on theories and technologies of environment control for mass production of horticultural crops with good quality in greenhouse, plant factory, and space station.
- TISSUE CULTURE FOR HORTICULTURAL CROPS
- Experiment will be carried out on plant tissue culture, enzyme activity, isozyme analysis, chromosome observation etc. for basic techniques of horticulture.
- PLANT BREEDING AND STATISTICS
- Inheritance of higher plants, several breeding methods, and plant transformation methods will be introduced. The basic experimental statistics, such as variables, observations, mean standard error will be discussed. Analysis of variance and experimental design, such as completely randomized design for the horticultural experiments will be discussed.
- PLANT HORMONE
- Study on the hormonal regulation of growth and development of horticultural plants.
- SCIENCE OF FRUIT CULTURE
- Study on the science and technology related to characters of fruit cultivars, propagation, management, pruning, breeding of fruit trees.
- ENVIRONMENTAL PHYSIOLOGY OF ORNAMENTAL PLANTS
- The lecture is focused on understanding about quality assesment and efficient usage and treatments of cut flowers and potted plants through study on life cycle, physiological traits, quality and environment, quality assesment and grading in floricultural crops, physiology and vase life extension, harvest, storage, and transportation of cut flowers and quality maintenance and treatment of potted plants
- FRUIT PRODUCTION AND PHYTOCHEMICALS
- Study on the cultivars, production system, and cultivation technology of major species of fruit trees.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF AGRONOMY TEACHING MATERIALS
- Introduction to methods and techniques employed in investigation and reporting educational problems. Suggested for all candidates in education for undergraduate degrees. In addition, this course deals with methodological issues and problems in education.
- PLANT NUTRITION
- An integral discussion of nutrients-crop yield relationship, and topics included the role of nutrient elements, fertilizers and manure in crop production, mineral nutritions as influenced by fertilization program and nutrient interactions and induced deficiencies.
- PLANT PHYSIOLOGY BIOTECH IN HORTICULTURE
- Designed to introduce the basic principles and techniques of laboratory practice in horticultural science.
- PRACTICE OF FLORAL DESIGN
- The lecture is focused on understanding general production process of floricultural crops and learning skills for usage and processing of them through practice. Specific segments for practices are sowing and planting of summer annuals, dissectional observation of cut flowers, and flower designs(corsage, hand-tied bouquet, bridal bouquet, flower basket, wreath, topiary, pressed flower, and skeleton leaf).
- VEGETABLE CROPS AND HERBAL SCIENCE
- Study on vegetable crop production and cultivation of herbs and crops for special uses. Understanding and application of physiological characteristics for high value crop production
- WEEDS AND AGRICULTURAL CHEMICALS
- We will discuss methods to control plant pathogens as well as weeds for increasing qualities of horticultural crops.
- PLANT GENETICS
- Studies on the law of inheritance, chromosome, linkage, genetic material, gene expression and molecular genetics, and population genetics will be carried out.
- HORTICULTURE INTERNSHIP
- Provide the chances of learning trends in dynamic horticulture and africulture narkets, and also prepare job markets by experience in seed companies, research instictus and etc.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- HORTICULTURAL THERAPY AND AGROHEALING
- This lecture is focused on understanding about interaction among plants, human and environment and studying on characteristics, effects, introduction and application of horticultural therapy.
- INTERNATIONAL HORTICULTURAL SCIENCE
- Study on the development of horticultural industry and understanding of scientific visions for future
- LAB OF FLORICULTURE AND ENVIRONMENT CONTROL
- This lab is focused on technologies for production and postharvest management of floriculture crops and for environment control in plant production system such as greenhouses and plant factories.
- THE FOURTH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION AND HORTICULTURE
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution promotes dramatic increase in industry by fusion of AI and ICBM datum technology. The field of the 4th industrila revolution includes clouding computing, smart mobile, big data, deep learning, dron, automatic driving. This lecture is focused on the study and application of advanced technologies in horticulture and life sciences.
- FUNCTIONAL MATERIAL IN HORTICULTURE
- Study on science and technology related to characterization of natural compounds with useful functions
- HORTICULTURAL SEMINAR
- Acquiring content of thesis on horticultural crops, research planning, and thesis written.
- PLANT ECOLOGY
- Agroecology is the study of ecological processes that operate in agricultural production systems. Agroecologists study a variety of agroecosystems, and the field of agroecology is not associated with any one particular method of farming.
- SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE
- Study on the principles and practice for sustainable cultivation techniques for good agricultural product