The Research Institute for Disaster Prevention was established in April 1999 for the purpose of diminution of natural and artificial disasters concerned with construction. The Institute covers the disaster prevention of facilities safety, estimation of hazard (riskiness), urban transportation, flood and drought, ground, coastal, and industrial safety fields.
The activities of the Institute are summarized as follows :
- Development of prediction technique on natural and artificial disasters.
- Research of disaster prevention and related technique.
- Retraining of field engineers.
- Technical support at a disaster zone.
- International scientific exchange about disaster prevention technology.
- Publication of journals.
- Special symposiums, seminars, and lectures.