- Major of Food Science and Technology
- Major of Food Service Industry
Major of Food Science and Technology
The Major of Food Science and Technology is a typical applied science and is also a general science that includes all academic studies related to things that are eaten to continue the lives of people. The Major of Food Science and Technology scientifically studies the health and food issues that are becoming increasingly important and aims at developing ideal products by using already produced foods to provide a steady supply of food to mankind. The Major of Food Science and Technology fosters outstanding experts in the food processing sector needed by the nation and industries in order to respond to the oncoming international competition so that we can support the Korean food industry and contribute in preserving the healthy dietary life for the nation. This department is the second of its kind in the nation and was established in 1969. Students in the Major of Food Science and Technology first learn to understand the physicochemical properties of foods, preservation of food materials, and biotechnological applications. Students also study the processing procedure so that they can improve the quality of foods. The curriculum of the Major of Food Science and Technology is designated to provide core courses such as food processing, food preservation, food microbiology, food chemistry, food engineering, food biotechnology, food biochemistry, and fermentation and enzyme technology. In addition, we strive to find and foster talented human resources that can help develop the industry even further.
Major of Food Service Industry
The Major of Food Service Industry is a practical academic discipline that fosters experts that can contribute in the food service industry by helping students acquire theoretical and hands-on education for those interested in the hospitality industry. The Major of Food Service Industry was newly opened in 2004 and focuses on restaurant management, cooking theories and practices and foreign languages in order to foster expert managers that have deep and assorted knowledge of the hospitality industry. The service industry has rapidly developed to become a large slice of the global economy. In particular, the food service industry has developed very quickly and has become massive to the service industry and tourism. Therefore, in order to respond to the explosive growth of the hospitality industry, we foster global manpower that are equipped with in-depth and assorted knowledge on the hospitality industry needed in the 21st century through studies of specialized theories and management techniques.
|Opened College of Livestock Department of Livestock Science
|Changed department name from Department of Livestock Science to Department of Food Science and Technology
|Established master's degree course for Yeungnam University Graduate School
|Established doctor's course for Yeungnam University Graduate School June 1990, Established auxiliary food processing plant
|Established auxiliary food processing plant
|Research building, experiment building and processing plant expansion
|Integrated into the College of Natural Resources School of Bio Industry Engineering with the Major of Applied Microbiology
|Separated with the Major of Applied Microbiology and established once again in the School of Food Science and Food Service Industry
|After the 45th graduation, 1,641 completed their undergraduate studies, 121 for masters and 72 PhDs graduated from this school and are playing important roles throughout society in food-related sectors
Major of Food Science and Technology
Food industry, national research center, biotechnology (BT) industry, agriculture and fishery industry, welfare industry, pharmaceutical industry, environmental industry, public employees, teachers at commerce high schools and universities
Major of Food Service Industry
Students who major in the food service industry can become restaurant managers or go into the cooking field, cafeteria, restaurant entrepeneur, food companies, food manufacturing, public organizations, high school culinary teachers, etc
Kwak, Eun Jung,Professor
- Ochanomizu Univ. Food Science
- Cornell Univ. Environmental Toxicology
- Chonnam National University Food Biotechnology
- Niigata Univ. Molecular Food Science and Technology
Bodkhe Gajanan Atmaram,International Research Professor
Vishal kumar,International Research Professor
- D-2 (D-2-5) / 2019.10.04 ~ 2020.10.01.
SUBRAMANIAN SIVA,International Research Professor
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Food Science And Technology
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- GENERAL CHEMISTRY I
- The General Chemistry(I) introduces the basic concepts of the properties, constitution, structure and the reaction of matters, which is essential in modern chemistry, physics, biology and engineering.
- INTRODUCTION TO LIFE SCIENCE
- In this course, students learn the topics of cell biology, structure, and function, reproduction, genetics, physiology, development, diversity, evolution, and ecology. This course is an introductory course (even for non-science major students) which emphasizes the organization of biological systems integrated with major principles and new discoveries. The ultimate aim is to help students learn the process of science, like promoting skills of observation, perception, and reasoning based on the working knowledge in biological world, and gain an appreciation of the importance that biology plays in our lives.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- This course defines events and probabilities, conditional probabilities and independence to evaluate probabilities. Elementary probability distributions such as binomial distribution, geometric distribution, Poisson distribution, and normal distribution are also introduced. The concepts of sample distribution of the statistic and the central limit theorem are introduced. The statistical inference including estimation and hypothesis testing of the mean and the standard deviation will be discussed.
- BIG DATA & INTELLIGENT INFORMATION SOCIETY
- This course provides a convergence perspective on the emergence of intelligent information society. Big data are increasingly important in the development of the field of artificial intelligence. Thus, students are expected to learn the use and role of big data in various contexts including public policy. The class highlights key trends in academy as well as industry. The course is designed to cover important subjects, for example, information visualization and smart factory. Finally, social inequality and digital divide are discussed in detail.
- COMMUNICATION SKILL
- The ability to communicate effectively in speaking and writing is one of the most important skills for educational and career success. This course gives students opportunities to discuss, practice, and eventually master the skills involved in oral and written communication. The topics include theory and practice of effective communication, making speeches, presentation skills, principles of persuasion, and writing skills.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- FOOD ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
- Organic chemistry lectures about the chemical substances found in living organisms.This course introduces the structure of organic compounds and chemical mechanisms. This course is a pre-requisite for understanding biochemistry and secondary metabolites. Organic chemistry is one of the most important courses for the bio-pharmaceutical industry and biotechnology.
- COLLEGE SEMINAR
- This seminar is expected to give students various and positive inspiration for their future. Well-known persons from diversed fields will be invited as a speaker. Students will have a living and free discussion and conversation with them.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY
- Properties of the chemical reactions and principles in chemical equilibrium in solutions are experimented through qualitative and quantitative analytical chemistry laboratory.
- FOOD MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY
- A basic laboratory course in food microbiology with emphasis on studies of the methods of cultivation, isolation, and metabolic controls.
- THEORY AND PRACTICE OF KOREAN TRADITIONAL FOODS
- This course is designed to provide practical training for Korean traditional food preparation to create new food products. It discusses the historical and cultural development of Korean traditional foods. And students will study food ingredients, cooking words, and utensils for Korean traditional foods. Moreover, students will practice preparation of the meal kit and home meal replacement(HMR) for Korean traditional foods.
- ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
- This lecture covers basic principles of analytical chemistry such as solubility, chemical equilibrium, acid-base titration, acid-base chemistry, acid-base equilibrium, complex formation and oxidation-reduction reactions.
- FOOD BIOCHEMISTRY
- Foundations of biochemistry, proteins, enzymes, lipids, biological membranes and transport, carbohydrates, nucleotide sequence and nucleic acid, principles of bio-energetics, glycolysis and citric acid cycle, oxidation of fatty acids.
- FOOD MICROBIOLOGY
- Lecture for producing food by using microorganisms and using methods.
- FOOD BIOCHEMISTRY LABORATORY
- Buffer and PH, principles of spectrophotometry, separation and quantitatives determination of protein, determination of molecular weight of protein, chemical properties and quantitative analysis of carbohydrates, the separation and physical and chemical properties lipids, purification of lysozyme.
- FOOD PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
- Amino acid oxidation, oxidative phosphorylation and photophosphorylation, carbohydrate and lipid biosynthesis, biosynthesis of amino acids and nucleotides, genes and chromosome, DNA and RNA metabolism, protein metabolism, regulation of gene expression and recombinant DNA technology.
- Digestion and absorption of food nutrients, carbohydrates, lipids and protein of metabolism and nutrition, function of mineral, water and vitamins, energy metabolism, recommended dietary allowances.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY OF AGRONOMY
- This course is an introductory course in Education for prospective teachers majored in agronomy. The course is to study historical background, educational purpose and analysis of educational course of middle and high school.
- THEORY AND PRACTICE OF GLOBAL FOODS
- This course is designed to provide practical training for global food preparation to create new food products. It discusses the historical and cultural development of global foods. And students will study food ingredients, cooking words, and utensils for global foods. Moreover, students will practice preparation of the meal kit and home meal replacement(HMR) for global foods.
- VEGETABLE FOOD PROCESSING PRACTICE
- This subject deals with the basic laboratory experiments on the unit process of vegetable food processing.
- FOOD MICROBIOLOGY AND METABOLISM
- Classification, morphology and biochemical properties of important food bacteria, and food microorganisms for industry.
- VEGETABLE FOOD PROCESSING
- Principle and technologies involved in the processing vegetable foods as cereals, tubers. legumes, fruits and vegetables, and fats and oil as well as the physical and chemical changes during the processing and their protection methods are dealt in this course
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- FOOD CHEMISTRY LABORATORY
- Moisture, ash and phosphorus, determination of crude fiber and crude protein, determination of sugar content, vitamin C titration, tannin and synthetic food colors, crude lipids, acidity, iodine and peroxide values of cooking oils.
- FOOD INSTRUMENTAL ANALYSIS
- This course introduces basic theories and experimental methods of analytical instruments for food analysis such as UV visible spectroscopy, IR spectroscopy, Mass spectrometry, NMR spectrometry, HPLC, and GC.
- LIVESTOCK PROCESSING PRACTICE
- Livestock processing divided into meat processing and dairy product processing. First, the basic theory and concept of meat processing are practiced. Second, the concept and techniques related to the milk processing will be practiced by the students in this course.
- LOGIC AND LOGICAL WRITING IN AGRICULTURE
- The purpose of this course is to help students majoring in various fields in agriculture to improve their abilities for logical thinking and logical problem-solving, and to further strengthen the ability for them to write in a logical and critical manner.
- FOOD CHEMISTRY
- Discusses the structure, properties and chemical reactions of the minor food components (food color and flavor) and their changes during cooking, processing and storage, as well their functional roles in foods.
- FOOD ENGINEERING
- The unit operations related to food processing are treated. The basic principles of unit operations and the processing machines in food industries are handled. This is to equip students with the engineering concept and terminology in the food engineering.
- FOOD PRESERVATION
- This course deals with the basic principles of food preservation by means of energy input(heat processing, irradiation), reduction of products, moisture content (concentration, dehydration, freeze drying) and packaging storage and practical case studies of food preservation.
- FUNCTIONAL FOOD
- The functional food is a new concept in food industry. The development and exploitation of unconventional food materials will be dealt.
- LIVESTOCK PROCESSING
- Livestock processing divided into meat processing and dairy product processing. First, this course deals with a growth and development of muscle, a biochemical function of muscle, a change of meat in muscle, a taste of meat and storage of meat, present condition of Meat processing and learns knowledge about production of meat processing, currency. Second, we learn product of milk food and handle raw milk and we get the best knowledges chemically, physically and biologically to keep a good condition during transportation. Also this course gives us a basic practice.
- FOOD BIOTECHNOLOGY LABORATORY
- This laboratory course provides students with the opportunity to make measurements on and interpret data from food bioenegineering topics. This course reinforces the concepts of food bioengineering. Students will be exposed to three areas of food bioengineering, including fermentation technology, enzyme engineering, and bioseparation and purification. The course includes lectures that complement the experimental component.
- FOOD MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
- Food Chemistry is an essential curriculum for the students who are in the field of Food Science and Technology. Food is indispensable in surviving and is the most important part of life. Nowadaysl, people have growing interests in foods as a part of culture. For the understanding on foods, science based approaches are necessary. Therefore, Food Chemistry will provide basis for the science based approaches. Through this lecture, Food Chemistry(2), students will learn nutrition and factors affecting sensory properties of food and associations of the factors with food.
- FOOD SANITATION LABORATORY
- Experiment on food hygiene and additives to prevent food poisoning.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF AGRONOMY TEACHING MATERIALS
- Introduction to methods and techniques employed in investigation and reporting educational problems. Suggested for all candidates in education for undergraduate degrees. In addition, this course deals with methodological issues and problems in education.
- FOOD BIOENGINEERING
- This lecture provides students with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the principles and technologies of bioengineering that can be applied to the food industry. The subject focuses on the main concepts and perspectives of modern food bioengineering, understanding bioreaction and bioseparation processes, and comprehending fermentation technology, enzyme engineering, genetic engineering, biosensor, biochip, and bioenergy.
- FOOD HYGIENE
- The cause and prevention of food intoxication, oral infections, mycotoxicosis and parasitosis etc, and the sanitary control of food products.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- FERMENTATION AND METABOLIC ENGINEERING
- This subject is the general overview of fermentation engineering and enzyme engineering. Korean traditional fermented food such as kimchi, soybean sauce, vinegar and fermented milk products are included. Enzyme engineering of those foods are studied.
- FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JOB SEMINAR
- This course aims to provide essential information how to prepare a carrier management, personal interview, resume to get a job in food industry. In addition, specialists in the related industry will provide the students with the specific job environments and required abilities for the companies.
- FOODS AND HUMAN
- 'Foods and Human' is a lecture for the students who pursue their careers in the area of Food Science and Technology in the future. After complete this class, students will be very comfortable when they study food science subjects. This lecture covers areas of raw materials for food, processing, safety, labelling, selection of foods, food development and research and current issues of foods.
- NATURAL PRODUCT MATERIALS
- Students will study the classification, components, characteristics and application of cereals, potatoes, vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, meat, poultry, seafood, dairy products and oils. Also students learn the changes in components and quality of these foods during the processing, cooking and preservation.
- PACKAGING OF FOOD PRODUCTS
- This subject consist of the final process of food products; packaging or bottling. Part 1 deal with the general overview of packaging principle such as plant design, operation management. In part 2, tools and materials such as Rinser, Filler, Labeller, Pasteurizer, bottle, label, box are studied.
- FOOD SENSORY EVALUATION
- Food Sensory Evaluation course provides students with how to practice sensory tests and handle the data obtained from the tests conducted.
- WORLD DRINKING CULTURE
- This subject is consist of korean traditional drinking culture and world drinking manner and etiquette. This included the influence of drinking to personal, social health. The aim of this lecture is to promote sensible, moderate, responsible drinking.
- FOOD ALLERGY AND FOOD INTOLERANCE
- This course is designed to understand the importance of food allergy and intolerance and research the causative allergens. On these bases, this course show the how control these problems.
- FOOD ENZYME TECHNOLOGY
- The biocatalytic activity of enzyme is one of the most important research area. The mechanisms, kinetics, and other fundamental concepts of enzymology will be lectured, and the practical application of enzyme in food industries will be focused here.
- FOOD INDUSTRY FIELD WORK
- This course, Food Industry Field Work, provides students with hands-on experience and knowledge on mass food production system by visiting or working at various food industries.