- Chinese Literature and Culture
- Chinese Translation and Interpretation
China is a country which has a long history with thousands of years and various traditions.
Recently, China has economically as well as politically, become one of the most influential countries in the world. In this international circumstance, the school of Chinese language and culture at Yeungnam University, Korea, aims to educate students to be professionals in the various Chinese-related areas.
Major in Chinese Literature and Culture
As the department of Chinese Literature and Culture at Yeungnam University is one of the oldest programs in Korea, it has been recognized as the leading Chinese educational institutions domestically and abroad. Based on the accumulated cultural heritage for thousands of years, China has been productive and fertile land, and achieved remarkable economic growth for a short time. This achievements has brought China about boom of Chinese culture over the world, and the boom is expected to continue henceforth.
Korea and China has maintained a close relationship historically, politically, and economically. By the rapid growth of China recently, it is said that China will be one of the most important factors for the future of Korea. For this reason, we need to understand China's history and culture more deeply.
As bilateral trade volume has been increasing sharply, many students has applying for studying China and Chinese in the department. Students who major in this program could take various linguistics courses such as graphonomy and phonology, study history, culture, and social phenomenon of China, and practice high-quality translating skills.
Major in Chinese Translation and Interpretation
After a treaty of amity between Korea and China, trade between Korea and China has increased explosively, and Korean/Chinese translation works has also increased sharply. Professional translators who are responsible for translation works are not enough. To meet this increasing demand of translators these days, the major in Chinese translation focuses on educating high-quality translators. Although this major was opened at graduate program levels, recently, it has expanded to undergraduate levels and offered more systematic curriculums. In this major, students take various linguistics courses such as graphonomy and phonology, and take courses dealing with history, culture, and social phenomenon of China. After graduating from this program, they will play roles as professional Chinese translators in the field or study Chinese translation at the graduate level.
|December 1975||Established the Department of Chinese Language and Literature at Yeungnam University|
|March 1980||Established a Master Degree Program|
|March 1982||Established a Doctorate Degree Program|
|March 2007||Elevation of the department into the School of Chinese Language and Culture
Reorganization by creating 3 majors; Major of Chinese Language and Literature, Major of Chinese Culture and Information, Major of Chinese Translation and Interpretation
|March 2012||Reorganization by creating 2 majors; Major of Chinese Literature and Culture, Major of Chinese Translation and Interpretation|
Professors and Researchers, Civil servants, Trade Field, Press, Diplomats, Publishing Fields, Teachers, Simultaneous Interpreters, Translators, Tour Guides, Secondary School Chinese Teachers Certifications, Tour Guide Certifications, Interpreter and Translator Certifications, H.S.K Certifications, 2nd Degree Certifications of Chinese Character capabilities
Park, Myung Jin,Professor
- Beijing Univ. (China) Chinese Novel
Woo, Jae Ho,Professor
- Seoul National Univ. Chinese Poetry, Philology
Lee Chun Young,Professor
- Chinese Culture Univ. (Taiwan) Chinese Phonlogy
YU SU KYONG,Associate Professor
- Sungkyunkwan Univ.
HAN YUXIANG,International Professor for Education
- Yeungnam Univ.
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Chinese Language & Culture
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- AN INTRODUCTION TO CONTEMPORARY CHINA
- We first provide a general introduction of Chinese geography, history, culture, and racial characteristics. We will then focus on an elementary understanding of politics, economics, societies and culture after the birth of the People’s Republic of China in 1949. By taking this course, students will be able to analyze situations in China which very so rapidly.
- CONVERGENCE- AND INTEGRATION-BASED THINKING AND WRITING
- The ability of analyzing and solving problems is emphasized as one of the conditions for survival in the 21st century and one of the core elements of creative capabilities. This course was designed to cultivate convergence- and integration-based creative capabilities, which are integrated problem-solving capabilities to collect, analyze and process knowledge and information by reinforcing the ability of analyzing and solving problems, recreate it in a synthetic fashion, and express it effectively through speech and writing. The course will help the students cultivate their synesthesia thinking and communication skills based on sympathy with other human beings, understanding of the community, and positivity or Gongseong that is sought after by Yeungnam University. Its ultimate goals are to promote the students' creative knowledge development and reinforce their writing capabilities consistently through "convergence- and integration-based thinking and writing as a problem-solving approach."
- ELEMENTARY CHINESE I
- The objective of this course is to help students carry on basic conversational Chinese by studying basic pronunciation and vocabulary.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- CHINESE PRONUNCIATION AND BASIC GRAMMAR
- In this course students will begin to learn Chinese pronunciation and basic grammar.
- ELEMENTARY CHINESE II
- The objective of this course is to encourage students to speak conversational Chinese in a semi-fluent manner. Prerequisite course : Elementary Chinese I.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- DAILY CHINESE
- The course offers training and practice in all Chinese language skills, with an emphasis on listening and speaking, Simplified language is used through audio and video materials.
- ANCIENT CHINESE IN MODERN LIFE
- The goal of this class is for understanding Chinese characters and Ancient Chinese in Modern life. By Comparing Ancient Chinese with sino-korean, students are learning the Chinese characters and Ancient Chinese.
- CHINESE AND CHINESE CULTURE
- This course deals with practicing chinese language in entry level, studying roots of some Chinese words, and understading the cultural background of Chinese. So it provides you some opportunities to improve conversational Chinses ability in real life and to understand the Chinese culture more deeply.
- CHINESE VOCABULARY PRACTICE(1)
- If students want to learn to speak Chinese well, first of all students must know basic chinese words. In order to study basic chinese words efficiently and quickly, students have to study systematically. This course primarily aimed at students who have mastered beginning level of chinese. this course will focus on the most important chinese words and their expressions. this will allow students move up to advanced level from beginner's level.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- BASIC HSK GRAMMAR AND READING COMPREHENSION
- In this course students who study for Basic HSK will learn appropriate grammar and reading comprehension.
- LOCAL CHINESE CONVERSATION
- This course is a conversation course for students in the first semester of the second grade who learn and practice the latest Chinese expressions currently used in China. Now the Fourth Industrial Revolution brought about a remarkable change in the lives and societies of humankind. Many changes are taking place in human language. We no longer ask for greetings in paper letters, not on public telephones. The process of ordering food at a fast-food restaurant, drinking coffee, purchasing a cell phone and sending a courier service should be reflected in the Chinese conversation curriculum. In this course, we will try to combine lectures and practical exercises with new vocabulary that emerged in Chinese according to the changing times and necessary expressions used in China now. In particular, students in Grade 2 and Grade 3 who are preparing for the exchange student training course to study at a exchange university in China concentrate on local expressions that are essential before the training.
- PRACTICAL CHINESE CONVERSATION Ⅰ
- This course is designed to develop practical conversation skills and covers practicing colloquial conversation sentences in various situations from immigration to daily life.
- TRAVEL CHINESE
- Recently, 'travel' has become an important trend. This course focuses on conversation-oriented learning that is necessary during travel to China. In addition to conducting conversation exercises on the assumption of various situations that may occur during the trip, at the same time, it is teach to acquire specific information about the main attractions of China in Chinese.
- CHINESE VOCABULARY PRACTICE(2)
- This course primarily aimed at students who have taken Chinese Vocabulary PracticeⅠ. This course will focus on the most important Chinese words and their expressions the same as Chinese Vocabulary PracticeⅠ. After having taken Chinese Vocabulary PracticeⅠ, Ⅱ, students will have mastered basic Chinese words. Through these courses students can firmly lay the foundation for Chinese ability.
- PRACTICE OF INTERMEDIATE CHINESE(1)
- The goal of this course is to help students who have taken Elementary Chinese improve their Chinese reading, writing, listening and speaking ability.
- CULTURAL CHINESE
- The amity has been over 20 years between Korea and China. Nowadays China is the one of the biggest important cultural exchange partners. This class opens to teach Chinese about the culture of China.
- INTERMEDIATE HSK GRAMMAR AND READING COMPREHENSION
- In this course students who study for Intermediate HSK will learn appropriate grammar and reading comprehension.
- INTRODUCTION TO CHINESE LINGUISTICS
- Chinese language courses in college are mainly focused on skills of communication with Chinese people and on reading·interpreting Chinese materials. While this course provides students a linguistic approach.
- PRACTICAL CHINESE CONVERSATION Ⅱ
- As a next course of "Practical Chinese Conversation (1)", this course aims to develop conversation skill in more complicated situations and to develop ability speaking more fluently.
- PRACTICE OF INTERMEDIATE CHINESE(2)
- The goal of this course is to help students who have taken Elementary Chinese improve their Chinese reading, writing, listening and speaking ability. This course is more advanced than Practice of Intermediate Chinese (1)
- INQUIRY INTO CHINESE CULTURE
- This lecture through visit China, provides practical experience to comprehend chinese cultural essence and substance.
- UNDERSTANDING CHINESE LITERATURE AND HISTORY(1)
- Students majoring Chinese must know about Chinese history and literature. This class introduce chinese history and literature to student. This might be very useful to make student became a Chinese expert. This course will allow students to understand about Chinese history and literature from the the prehistoric age to the Tang(唐) Dynasty within a short period of time.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- ADVANCED CHINESE CONVERSATION Ⅰ
- As an next course of "Intermediate Chinese Conversation" of sophomore, this course focuses on mastering richer expressions used in various situations of daily life and getting more perfect Chinese as a result.
- BASIC TRAINING OF CHINESE KOREAN INTERPRETATION
- Students who take the Chinese Korean interpretation and translation track will receive an education in the practical ability of Chinese Korean interpretation and translation. In this course students will receive a basic training of Chinese Korean translation.
- CHINESE POP CULTURE
- This course aim at teaching Chinese popular culture which is divided into selected subject.
- MEDIA CHINESE
- This course aims to acquaint students with contemporary Chinese, using various type of media such as newspapers, broadcast and internet, etc.
- HISTORY OF CHINESE LITERATURE
- The goal of this course is to understand Chinese literature by examing the development and history of Chinese literature from its birth to Qing(淸) Dynasty. Students will have opportunity to appreciate some masterpieces of Chinese literature and also make sure to understand the theories of Chinese literature.
- THEORY AND PRACTICE OF CHINESE KOREAN TRANSLATION(1)
- This course aims to teach students basic translation theories and skills required for professional translation, based on translation theories. And in this course, students will be encouraged to have some professional translation practices based on translation theories.
- UNDERSTANDING CHINESE LITERATURE AND HISTORY(2)
- Students majoring Chinese must know about Chinese history and literature. This class introduce chinese history and literature to student. This might be very useful to make student became a Chinese expert. This course will allow students to understand about Chinese history and literature from the Song(宋) Dynasty to the Qing(淸) Dynasty within a short period of time.
- ADVANCED CHINESE CONVERSATION Ⅱ
- As a next course of "Advanced Chinese Conversation (1)", this course will be devoted to practice a lot of expressions appeared in normal daily life and specific situations to lead students to perfect Chinese conversation.
- BUSINESS CHINESE
- This class open to teach Chinese, especially in 'Trade Business Field'. It means, this course will familiarize students with 'Business Chinese' which covers shipping, custom clearance, insurance, and the customs.
- CAPSTONE DESIGN
- This course is designed for the junior students m며 oring Chinese Language and Culture. It deals with the theoretical parts of Chinese language structure and improves students application skills.
- COMPREHENSION OF CHINESE MODERN LITERATURE CLASSICS
- This course focuses on Chinese novels, poetry, short stories, etc. among Chinese contemporary literary works, and also learns about the position, value and artist of the masterpiece in Chinese modern literary history. Through this course, we will improve the reading ability of the luxurious writing in the contemporary Chinese literary works, as well as the grasping ablility of the main issues and trends in contemporary Chinese literature.
- FIELD WORK
- The objective of this course is designed for the students in the major of Chinese Language & Culture to achieve both the practical knowledge and the experience in the related job fields.
- INTERPRETATION PRACTICE
- Consecutive interpretation used for conferences or seminars. In this course students will receive a basic training of Korean Chines consecutive interpretation.
- LOGIC AND ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY WRITING IN CHINESE EDUCATION
- This course is designed to provide students with an opportunity to write about a variety of controversial issues in the field of Chinese education so that the students can enhance their writing competence, integrating critical, logical thinking, analytic ability, and reasoning powers. In order to help students cope adequately with the Chinese essay writing task in the Exam for the License of Teachers, this course presents a variety of theories and skills in the field of Chinese education, which ultimately helps them to enrich their background knowledge. It also provides them with an opportunity to practice expressing their opinions logically and systematically on the basis of logic. In addition, this course deals with the development of a topic statement, discourse cohesion and coherence, and rhetorical structure, etc. Teaching methods employed in this course focus on the presentation and discussion of argumentative essays. The teacher should give relevant feedback on the essay writings.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF CHINESE TEACHING MATERIALS
- Introduction to methods and techniques employed in investigation and reporting educational problems. Suggested for all candidates in education for undergraduate degrees. In addition, this course deals with methodological issues and problems in education.
- UNDERSTANDING AND APPRECIATION OF CHINESE FILMS
- The aim of the course is to provide the students with an opportunity to review and understand the history and the major aspects of modern Chinese theater and movies. Furthermore, this course will help the students understand the changes in China and various phenomena in the areas of politics, economy, society and culture, through actual access to Chinese theater and movies.
- THEORY AND PRACTICE OF CHINESE KOREAN TRANSLATION(2)
- This course aims to teach students basic translation theories and skills required for professional translation, based on translation theories. And in this course, students will be encouraged to have some professional translation practices based on translation theories. This course is more advanced than 'THEORY AND PRACTICE OF CHINESE KOREAN TRANSLATION(1)'
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- ADVANCED HSK WRITING
- This course is designed to practice writing wide range of sentences with idioms and phrases and writing articles. And This can be helpful for student to acquire the certificate of high level HSK.
- CHINESE POETRY
- The objective of this course is to understand the core, fundamental thinking of representative chinese poets. An examination of typical poetry ranging from Han yue-fu poetry (漢藥府詩) to old-style poetry (古體詩) and regulated verse (律詩) also known as modern-style Tang poetry (近體詩) will take place.
- DISCUSSION ON A PARTICULAR SUBJECT IN ORIGINAL LANGUAGE
- This course is for fluent Chinese and Korean speakers. In this course students will discuss a particular subject under the guidance of the professor.
- PRACTICAL INTERPRETER
- It is aimed at basic intermediate interpretation. To do this, I train to read Korean and Chinese correctly. We practice various interpretation techniques such as Sight translation , summary speaking, and shadowing. Practice interpretation of boilerplate used at opening and closing ceremonies at international conferences. Finally, we do note-taking and sequential interpreting exercises.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY OF THE CHINESE LANGUAGE
- This course studies educational theory of the chinese language, its historical background, its purpose, and analyzes recent secondary school teaching processes.
- THE WORLD OF CHINESE CHARACTERS
- The objective of this course is to become familiar with Chinese characters by studying their origins and the inherent changes that have developed over time. It also learns Chinese living environment and Chinese culture, and establishing a basis for understanding the modern Chinese.
- CHINESE NOVEL AND CULTURAL CONTENTS
- Chinese novel is an important literary genre that imply the chinese culture. It is an important element for the chinese cultural content. This lecture opens to analyze the essence of the chinese culture and to plan chinese cultural contents. For this, we select, appreciate and criticize fine pieces of the chinese fiction including the chinese myth and legend.
- COMPREHENSION OF CHINESE LITERATURE CLASSICS
- The goal of this course is to heighten the understanding of Chinese psychology, (Chinese thingking and the Chinese emotional state) by reading many famous classical, literary and historical works.
- CONTEMPORARY CHINESE
- The goal of this course is to have the students gain a better and more extensive understanding via speaking everyday, contemporary Chinese. Reading periodicals, newspapers and current magazines will be used to improve their analytical abilities.
- UNDERSTANDING CHINESE POLITICS AND SOCIETY
- This course aims to explore a new way of Korea-China relations by examining the political characteristics and social aspects of modern China as a whole in order to properly understand the country of China, and furthermore, by properly recognizing China.